Hardwood floors can stay fresh for nearly 15 years if maintained properly. They add value to the estate once installed but sometimes, cleaning them can be a tough job. One simply needs to know that cleaning hardwood floors is a very simple job. Its no hobo or a running to errands kind of things. All you needs is to make sure that you can sand it, stain it and then reapply polyurethane on it to bring it back to life. This article by Surfaces Reporter(SR) will tell you just what you need to do to know how to refinish your hardwood floors.
1. Clean it well: Corner areas of gaps between the hardwood floors are sometimes tough to clean. Make sure to never use an abrasive cleaning material to clean your hardwood floors. If the dirt is trapped on the hardwood floor surfaces, simply just use a non-foam cleaner and a soft mop to remove bristles from the surface and refinish your floor.
2. Sand the hardwood only when required: You do not need to sand your hardwood floors every time you try to refinish it. Instead, you can get gap filling products that are a better alternative to sanding the hardwood. This way, you will save your time sanding the hardwood and the layer of hardwood floor will not have to be crushed as well. Just make sure to clean the floor thoroughly before applying any gap fillers.
3. Fill the gaps in optimum weather conditions: Sometimes, you may see gaps or breaks between your hardwood floors. This mostly happens during winters when the hardwood floor contracts. Make sure to fill the gaps only during summers when the floor expands. That way, you won’t have to refill the gaps during winters.
4. what finish to choose?: If you are confused on whether you need satin finish or glossy finish, its best to go with satin finish as it is highly children and pet friendly and slip resistant. Glossy finish will end up being dirty all the time, it will scratch as well and chances are you can slip on it if the floor is wet.
5. Never choose dark color hardwood floor: You may think that dark color hardwood floor will hide the dirt but its actually the opposite of it. Dark color floors make dirt visible and you may have to clean your hardwood floor 3-4 times a week to make sure its clean. Its better to refinish it in a light shade or choose a light color hardwood floor.
Hardwood floors are the most chosen flooring options for people as they last long and look really amazing even after they age. One thing you need to keep in mind while refinishing your hardwood floor is to only call a professional when necessary or when your hardwood floor is on the verge of being completely damaged. Otherwise, there is no need to spend a hefty amount on professionals.