Mumbai Airport Becomes First in India to Introduce 100% Hybrid Renewable Energy

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) has become India’s 100 per cent sustainable airport with its recent shift to green sources. By transferring all its energy demands to green sources, Mumbai International Airport has joined the league of a few of India's only airports that are completely sustainable.

CSMIA has been dedicatedly trying to reduce its energy use and carbon impact through various methods. The airport initiated its shift toward sustainable practice by building a 1.06 MW rooftop solar power plant, which is now increased to 4.66 MW.

Of the entire 100 per cent electrical needs, CSMIA obtains nearly 5 per cent from on-site solar generation, while the remaining 95 per cent from other environmentally friendly sources such as hydro and wind energy. Reportedly, CSMIA observed an increase in the purchase of natural energy. It rose from 57 per cent of green consumption in April 2022 to 98 per cent during May-July. A CSMIA representative reportedly informed that the use of renewable energy sources has touched 100 per cent in August 2022.

CSMIA is touted to be the first in India to introduce hybrid technology that has only used green energy since April 2022. To achieve its Net Zero Carbon Emission by 2029, in April 2022, CSMIA enhanced its capacity usage of green energy and deployed a 10 Kwp hybrid solar mill consisting of 2 Kwp Turbo Mill (3 Savonious type VAWT) and 8 Kwp solar PV modules with an estimated minimum energy generation of 36 Kwh/day. Being the first-of-its-kind, this hybrid renewable energy project is fully integrated and harnesses solar and wind energy combined to generate electricity.

Reportedly, this sustainable transformation of CSMIA will ensure a reduction of nearly 120,000 tonnes of CO2 equivalent every year. Additionally, CSMIA also implemented a Carbon Accounting and Management System (CAMS) based on ISO 14064-1:2018 to identify, measure and manage Green House Gas (GHG) emissions. As per CSMIA’s spokesperson: “As CSMIA aspires to become net-zero by 2029, this landmark event further encourages us to stay committed to our efforts in enhancing the operational efficiency of the airport while operating on fully renewable energy.”

Image credits:


Post Your Comment

"Content that powers your Business. News that keeps you informed."

Surfaces Reporter is one of India's leading media in Print & Digital Telecast for News on Interiors & Architecture Projects, Products, Building Materials, and the Business of Design! Since 2011, it serves as a referral for designers & architects to know about inspiring projects and source new products. If you have a Product or Project worth publishing in Surfaces Reporter, please email us or you can also submit your project online.

Like Surfaces Reporter on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram | Subscribe to our magazine | Sign Up for the FREE Surfaces Reporter Magazine Newsletter

Sustainable Approach Of Having A Vertical Forest In An Urban Fabric | 360LIFE Design Studio | Verti-Forest | Hyderabad

The trend of having a vertical forest is gaining huge momentum all over the world from Milan (Italy) to Nanjing (China), and from Egypt, Singapore, Netherlands, and Malaysia to other Megalopolis.

Read more

SR Interview: Going Sustainable is Expensive. It is a Myth says Ar Snehal Shah, Principal Architect, EssTeam, Surat

Climatically responsive, ambient, resilient and efficient – these are the four words that define the hardcore sustainable practice followed and preached by Surat-based EssTeam. An exclusive interview by SURFACES REPORTER with Ar Snehal Shah, EssTeam, Surat.

Read more

A Lamp That Glows Without Electricity | Nisshoku | Sustainable Lamp

Japan-based product designer- Yuichiro Morimoto has created lighting that does not require electricity to glow.

Read more

ETFE: A New Sustainable Way To Construct a Building From Bottom to Top

The true functionality of plastic polymers was not quite realised until recently, this article by Surfaces Reporter(SR) explores more about ETFE. Earlier plastic polymers were seen as auxiliary building materials that could only be used for wipe-clean kitchen surfaces.

Read more

This is alt