Apollo to Lend $1 Billion to Indian Property Developers | SURFACES REPORTER Realty News Update

Indian Property Developers

As the pandemic eases, Apollo Global Management Inc is moving ahead with its plans to lend nearly $1 billion to residential property developers in India this year. Reportedly, last year, Apollo had lent nearly $750 million to Indian developers with two-thirds of the sum directed to residential projects. That said, nearly 70 per cent of this year’s lending is expected to go to home builders, while the remaining 30 per cent is directed toward commercial developers. A report by SURFACES REPORTER (SR). 

Residential market bouncing back

The market is getting back on track and matching the figures of the pre-COVID level. Additionally, some markets are showing better figures than 2019. Reportedly, ‘it is consolidating rapidly with the number of unsold homes in India that stand at a 10-year low which shows prices have an uptick.’ The low-interest rates and discounts by developers have given the market the necessary boost. In the residential property market, Crisil Ratings’ report suggests that low inventory levels are expected to sustain the boom where prices could rise as much as 10 per cent across India’s top six cities. The office property market, on the other hand, is benefiting from more hiring in startups, an increasing number of initial public offerings and the expansion of the IT industry.

Apollo's plan of action

Opened in 2008 in Mumbai, Apollo at present manages nearly $513 billion of assets worldwide and started lending to Indian property developers in 2017. Last year, when shadow banks such as IL&FS Investment Managers Ltd and Dewan Housing Finance Corp got in trouble that further led to dislocation in the local credit market, Apollo stepped in and increased its lending activity. Even during the pandemic, when the financing demands started to rise, the business took off. Reportedly, Apollo’s average loan size is expected to be between $40 million-$60 million.

However, the war in Ukraine and supply chain troubles could potentially affect the Indian property market. The rise in commodity prices and building materials with pent-up demand for houses is further affecting the real estate prices in the country. Post COVID, people have realised that houses are not just a roof over their heads but an important part of their lives, which is why affordable, premium and luxury housing are doing well. Going forward, in the coming year or two, experts suggest that the residential real estate will be observing the best time.

Image credits: iPleaders


Post Your Comment

"Content that powers your Business. News that keeps you informed."

Surfaces Reporter is one of India's leading media in Print & Digital Telecast for News on Interiors & Architecture Projects, Products, Building Materials, and the Business of Design! Since 2011, it serves as a referral for designers & architects to know about inspiring projects and source new products. If you have a Product or Project worth publishing in Surfaces Reporter, please email us hello@surfacesreporter.com or you can also submit your project online.

Like Surfaces Reporter on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter and Instagram | Subscribe to our magazine | Sign Up for the FREE Surfaces Reporter Magazine Newsletter

India’s First Net-Zero Business Park Launched in Chennai by Morphogenesis | SR News Update

Located in Chennais IT hub, this innovative business park has received Indias first net-zero certification for energy, water, and waste management from the Indian Green Building Council (IGBC).

Read more

Indira Gandhi International Airports Aerocity Set to Unveil Indias Largest Mall by 2027 | SR News Update

As part of the $2.5 billion Worldmark Aerocity project, which aims to establish Indias first aerotropolis, Aerocity at Indira Gandhi International Airport will unveil Indias largest mall by 2027.

Read more

Wade Asia x Merino Announces Merino Designs India Architecture Conference 23-25 Aug 2024 Delhi | Check Exclusive Video

For the 2nd time MERINO continues to strengthen its position as the Presenting Partner of the WADE ASIA Architecture Conference to host MERINO DESIGNS INDIA ARCHITECTURE CONFERENCE from 23-25 Aug ’24 at Yashobhoomi, (IICC), in New Delhi.

Read more

Trade Promotion Council of India signs MoU with FederlegnoArredo, Italy | Salone del Mobile, Milano

Today at Salone del Mobile, Milano, the Trade Promotion Council of India (TPCI) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with FederlegnoArredo (FLA), Italy, signifying a noteworthy advancement in mutual collaboration to nurture furniture and associated clusters in India.

Read more

This is alt